‘Kench Hill exceeded all our expectations!’
‘What an amazing place. The building itself is beautiful and caters for so many people. ..Gardens are beautiful too. 100% recommended for anything from a little get-together to a wedding reception.’
Kench Hill is a 3 star grade hostel. It is clean, comfortable and well-maintained, ideal for family learning, holiday projects, day or residential training/team-building courses or for a relaxing retreat for families and groups, including wedding receptions and other celebrations. We welcome non-school groups to Kench Hill during holidays and weekends (Fri pm to Sun), particularly those from Hackney and other inner London boroughs, with or without tuition from our expert tutors.
We offer self-catered or catered visits for up to 50 people. A ground floor room is available for visitors with limited mobility (see Access statement below for details). Self-catering groups have use of our fully equipped kitchen with electric and gas ovens, fridge, freezer and use of commercial dishwasher, if trained. We have gas BBQ for outdoor dining. Groups bring their own food or organise deliveries from local suppliers. We can also supply organically-grown seasonal produce from our kitchen garden. Supermarkets in Tenterden are open until 10pm (4pm on Sundays), with eating choices including fish & chips, Chinese, Indian, Turkish, plus pub food. Home delivery is limited however (no pizzas or burgers!) Gibbet Oak Farm Shop is 2 minutes away, open daily 9-5pm. They specialise in fruit and apple juice.
For special occasions we can recommend local suppliers eg party caterers Passionate Food www.passionatefood.co.uk and several award-winning vineyards eg Gusbourne, Chapel Down.
We provide a range of catering options on-site to suit your requirements. Our cooks prepare healthy, balanced home cooked meals using fresh local ingredients, many picked from our own garden. We encourage young visitors to eat plenty of salad, fruits and vegetables. We cater for most dietary needs including vegan, halal, gluten-free (with prior notice).
Our 16-seater minibus with a driver may be available for use. It may also be possible to arrange insurance for your own drivers if suitably qualified (prior notice required).
For visitors with disabilities see our Access statement.
From July 2019 groups requiring additional luxury self-catered accommodation in the vicinity for up to 6 guests can book Setts Wood Cottage through www.airbnb.co.uk. The property is not linked to the Kench Hill Charity, but is adjacent to the Centre and is highly recommended. facebook.com/settswoodcottage/
Local Taxis – AH Cars 01580 762444/07456 592353 or St Michaels/Tenterden Taxis 01580 762277/764777.
For taxis to/from Headcorn station – MTC 01622 890003
Pre-booking is ESSENTIAL.
- No smoking is allowed in the building.
- No pets in the building.
- Bed linen is provided, but not personal towels or toiletries. A bed-making service is available for £50
- We provide tea towels, cloths and toilet paper, but do not provide disposable kitchen towel or washing-up liquid (except dishwasher solutions) .
- The Centre is in a rural area. Nearest public transport and shops are nearly 2 miles away.
- We work on a non-profit basis with minimal staff. We expect visitors to leave the Centre clean and tidy.
- We are committed to help protect the environment and expect visitors to assist us reduce, re-use and recycle.
- Please try to bring minimal packaging and reduce waste. Our tap water is excellent drinking quality, so you do not need to bring bottled water. We compost food on site and recycle all materials. We will provide 1 food waste bin per day + 1 black sack of non-recycled waste per 2 days. Excess waste will be charged @£20 per bin.